Services in a Multi-lingual Environment
From Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki
Tips for Providing Quality Services
- PLUS: Public Libraries Using Spanish is a large resource bank offering library signs & bookmarks in Spanish, prototype forms and user brochures, various flavors of language help, and a collection of adaptable, anti-copyright articles & publicity materials.
- In New South Wales (Australia) the Working Group on Multicultural Library Services has been very successful with their promotional campaign, featuring billboards, signs on buses, postcards etc. in community languages. The group also has promotional banners which the member libraries can borrow to promote their collections and activities.
- The State Library of New South Wales in cooperation with the Working Group has developed a generic text to describe library services to our Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities, this text is translated into more than 30 languages.
Blogs/Websites to Watch
- Services to Spanish Speakers in WebJunction
- Services to Immigrants in WebJunction
- Services to Tribal & First Nation Communities in WebJunction
- The National Network of Libraries of Medicine "Multilingual Health Information" website provides a webliography of resources that provide patient education materials in numerous languages. http://nnlm.gov/train/chi/multi.html